Monday, June 14, 2010

dream-dress

I got this dress from Anthropologie as my birthday present a few weeks ago. I almost didn't buy it because it was strapless, but there were secret little straps hiding in a bag clipped to the tag! And it's in linen!

My usual reason to go to Anthropologie is to get inspiration for clothing designs. I have actually only bought something from there one other time, and both of these things have been on the sale rack. But my philosophy on expensive clothing is: if I would spend lots of money on the fabric and hours of my time trying to make it and then fail--then it's worth it to spend a little money for a nice piece of clothing. And this dress is definitely the type of fitted bodice and full skirt style that I've been trying versions of for years and never getting right.

Another great clothing philosophy is that you can always find something sort-of-okay and alter it to be better and unique. I did this a lot in college with thrift-store finds. Two of my favorite dresses in college were both from the maternity section, and all I did was take them in to be fitted. Have you ever altered something that wasn't great and made it a favorite?

What are your "clothing philosophies"?

1 comment:

Gracie G. said...

altering is definitely something I'd like to try my hand at. I hem pants and things like that and have sewed up the sides of shirts to make them fit better, but that's about the extent of my knowledge in alterations. My friend gave me a bunch of hand-me-downs (I love that...it's like shopping from someone's closet, lol) and I was going to try to alter a few things from her. That dress is beautiful! It totally embodies summer. :) You are so tiny, you don't look like you just had a baby.
Thanks for your comments. Philippians is a wonderful book. That verse encouraged me so much and I think it is going to be my mission statement for my work from here on out. I listened to some podcasts from Ravi Zacharias about Christianity and the arts and it was also encouraging. :)
Have a blessed week!