Friday, February 25, 2011

Cloth


I wish you could reach through your computer screen and feel my cloth. It is by far my favorite thing I've woven just because of the sumptuous texture. It drapes beautifully and feels like a textured silk. All 3 1/2 yards of it!

Washing it was different than I usually treat handwoven items. I have sewed with machine made tencel fabric before and so I knew that if you let it drip dry it feels like cardboard. But if you put it in the dryer--voila!--it turns into the loveliest softness.


I tried to capture the iridescence in this picture. I can tell the fabric is a little warp-faced (meaning more of the warp is showing than the weft) since the brown is definitely in the "background" and the blue is dominant. I still would have liked a darker coffee brown better, but it's too late to fix that so... stop thinking about it, right?
Now, on to the sewing!

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Looking forward to see what you are making with this :)

Restless Knitter said...

Tencel is one of my favorite fibers to weave with. I love how it goes from such a stiff feeling to a wonderful softness after it's been tossed around in the dryer and then pressed.

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous!